Thursday, January 26, 2012

This Is The End

Escape from Mr. Bao's was a bit challenging, it had rained for two nights in a row and was even raining when we left. The dirt road was "slicker than snot on a doorknob".  With the help of Anh Tuan and several locals we were able to negotiate the slippery slopes.

One guy in particular (above right) was riding a scooter down the mountain and he randomly stopped to help us, working very hard for 3/4 of the trip.  The kindness of strangers in Vietnam is pretty amazing.  From Marley's accident, to slipping down a mountain many people were eager to help.  The contrast between the two guides couldn't have been clearer passing this challenge.  With a good guide the task was difficult, but actually fun unlike a few of the earl

Anh Tuan invited our companion on the scooter to come with us to the next home stay and we headed off to Mr. Boi's house (left above).  Ryan in particular was really looking forward to seeing Mr. Boi because he stayed there on his last trip.  As we arrived, we soon learned that the hot water wasn't working which was a pretty big let down since I hadn't showered for a few days.  Everyone in Mr. Boi's house disappeared fairly quickly after dinner rather than hanging around drinking, most likely tired from all of the partying from Tet, which at this point was a minor let down.

Waking up the next morning, I realized pretty quickly that I had gotten into some bad food or water.  Luckily I started some meds and it wasn't too bad, and Ryan was fine. Vomiting and motorcycling don't mix.  The sickness put a little damper on the last day of the trip, but the most important thing is that we made it back to Hanoi safely. Unfortunately we didn't get to visit Marley, but we are going to try to contact Scott to make sure he's ok.

We definitely made memories that won't soon be forgotten.

1 comment:

moo said...

Great story of your trip-- Thanks for sharing, it was so interesting to read, and to be able to keep up with your travels!